Whether you are just generally organized, or just need to get organized because it’s necessary, the organization and management of the receipts collected daily is a good idea. And, although the classic notebook is a very good method for tracking receipts , we searched and managed to find a few more contemporary ways of tracking receipts that attempt to automate the process and let you get on with your life without getting back to using a pen ….
- Shoeboxed Receipt Organization – Shoeboxed.com offers a service that automatically scans and manages receipts and other documents received through email or snail mail, moving these hard copies to a more functional digital home. Scan your receipts with your own scanner or mobile camera, then use Shoeboxed to organize receipts and store them online. Receipts for online purchases do not require a scanner because Shoeboxed gives you an email address to send digital receipts to for online storage. Shoeboxed offers secure online storage and exports data to Quicken, Excel,CSV or PDF. Shoeboxed also includes online software to analyze spending with charts and graphs, for both scanned and online receipts.
- Pixyly – Pixily is an online document repository, but it does not have the receipt organizing tools that Shoeboxed provides. However, there are people who are using it to manage a smaller number of receipts. Pixily is hosted on secure Amazon.com data centers and can upload documents that have been scanned and saved in these formats: Acrobat PDF and Microsoft Word 2003, Excel 2003 or Powerpoint. Other image formats will be supported soon. You can organize receipts and documents online in Pixily, and download searchable PDFs of receipts and documents from Pixily. 2 months trial, 1 Free Envelope first month, 1000 pages total online storage, 50 sheets per envelope
- Expensify – Expensify, a startup that aims to take the pain out of expense reporting, launches in public beta today. The free service streamlines the process of handling expenses and, thankfully, largely does away with paper receipts. It should prove useful to all kind of web workers, from freelancers to road warriors. After the simple sign up, you’ll see that Expensify is a three-step service: import your expenses, scan your receipts, and generate expense reports.
- Evernote – Evernote.com is a universal note-taking service built for the world of hyperlinks.Its software allows users to capture pretty much everything they do on the Web for later use, from search results, tasks and to-do lists to notes, snapshots and research. The service can also detect characters in digital scans or photographs. Users can synchronize their information across all of their devices, so that the information is available anywhere.
- Xpenser – Xpenser lets you record record expenses as soon as they happen and forget about them. Send them in via Email, SMS, Twitter, IM, or voice (call a number and say your expense). From your Blackberry, email “Lunch 78.50 with BigClient” and it’s recorded. From your phone, SMS “exp groceries 27.13”. From your computer, IM “Equipment 889.19 backup server”. From your phone, call and say “taxi 39 office to airport”. Use the Web interface to edit and finalize them or export them to your favorite financial management software. No more forgetting your cash expenses, no more half-day expense entry sessions.
- ExpenseTracker – Easy to use income and expense tracking tool.You can create multiple account and give it a beginning balance amount. Log all your receipts and expense information and reconcile your transactions to find out exactly what your real account balance is. Easily create your own categories and sub-categories. Generate reports to Track and analyze your spending.
- MyBudge – Online Budget tracking for mobile devices like iPhone, etc
- ReceiptFiler for Android – Wallet bulging from too many receipts? You can take pictures of a receipt, enter data, and review receipts later for records or expense tracking.
- Expense Manager for Android – Android Expense Manager is a handy utility for managing your work expenses. Take pictures of your receipts, assign each a category, and when you want to submit your expenses to your employer you just export/email a .zip file which contains the images of your receipts and a .CSV file which describes them.
- ProOnGo for Blackberry allows users to track business mileage and expenses from their BlackBerry. With ProOnGo’s receipt reader service, the application enters all of the expense data from a user’s receipt images, so that filing an expense can be as easy as snapping a picture of any receipt with their handset.Expense reports with receipt images included can be emailed as Excel, Fax, XML, CSV files and more. It saves using typing or handwriting expense information as well as keeping track of old receipts that could end up unreadable or lost.Receipts can also be backed up online, and receipt images can be altered for privacy (for example, card details blacked out).
- iXpenseIt – iXpenseIt simplifies daily expense tracking and monthly budgeting. With iXpenseIt, it’s never been easier to stay current on your personal budget or for business users, to get faster reimbursements. Store photo receipts is a snap. Enter expense data anywhere, anytime within seconds. Powerful reporting provides insight to where your money went and find new ways to save.
Of course a simple search on google with keywords “expense”, “receipt”, “management”, “tracking” will provide you with several other options. If you’ve use any other such services we look forward to your suggestions.
[Update 29/01/2010: If you try the above search in Greek, you’ll find a lot newcomers. Greeks can check the Greek version for a few details about all these new services. Here is a brief list:
Obviously we can expect more and more….]
We here, have to offer, a simple plain old Excel Worksheet for Expenses & Receipts!Share: